Friday, April 3, 2009

This Crazy Week

Above, a couple of ranunculus buds from a bunch I picked up at the market today. They were on sale and, you know, I can never pass up reasonably priced ranunculus

For the past few weeks I have been so happy keeping to my plan of baking on Monday, cleaning on Tuesday, doing a special project around the house on Wednesday and working on other projects on Thursday and Friday (like gardening). However, this week it all fell apart. 

It started with Monday. Since we were still working on the gardening boxes, I decided to push baking back to Tuesday or Wednesday and to instead focus on the garden boxes on Monday. They took up most of my day but I did finish up with most of the covers. 

Then came Tuesday, I had arranged to spend the morning and early afternoon with my friend Patty and her little Sammy visiting some breastfeeding support groups (for my doula training). Partway through the last group I got a call from Woodley and learned that someone had put down an offer on the house we have been looking at for the past few months. We spent the evening talking with the real estate agent and thinking about the house. 

Wednesday, we emailed the real estate agent with the details for the offer we wanted to make and Patty and I again headed out to another new mom's group. After that she had arranged a huge surprise for me. As a thank you present for being her doula for Sammy's birth, Patty had set up a voice lesson for me with an excellent teacher in Palo Alto! I was very very surprised but it was a fabulous experience. I haven't taken voice lessons for about 5 years now but it was so nice to get back into it! Woodley even came up and attended the lesson with me! After that, Woodley and I spent some time in Palo Alto before meeting up with his parents for dinner and a John Wayne movie at The Stanford Theater. Then we went back to his parents house hoping to use their fax machine to send in our offer on the house. Unfortunately there were problems with the first version so we had to wait to get an updated copy from the real estate agent. We got home around midnight. 

By Thursday I was beginning to realize that nothing related to the house or my usual housewife duties was going to get done this week. We woke up early Thursday, around 7am and got on the phone trying to find an attorney to look over our offer on the house. Around 10am we found one and emailed her the up to date version of the offer. Around 11:30 we headed over to Woodley's parent's house to print out the updated copy with the attorney's comments, sign it all, and fax it back to the real estate agent. Finishing with that around 1:30pm, we went out to lunch to celebrate. We had plans to get dinner and go see Broadway by the Bay's performance of Crazy for You with our friend Laura and we knew we would have to leave for that shortly so we spent the afternoon back at Woodley's parent's house until we needed to leave for the show. The dinner and show were both excellent and we greatly enjoyed them both! Again, we got home around midnight. 

That brings us to today. I had a meeting for Child Advocates about my volunteer work this morning which again took me away from the house. I was beginning to become quite distressed by the fact that there was almost no food in our house, there were almost no clean clothes because I hadn't done laundry in so long, and the house was getting dirtier and dirtier every minute. I decided to start working on it as soon as I got home today. Fortunately, by now many things have been taken care of. I've been working on the laundry all afternoon and the kitchen is cleaned up. I stopped by the store on the way home so we once again have our main staples: granola and yogurt for breakfast, bread and turkey slices for lunch sandwiches and something I can put together for dinner. 

Sigh. Perhaps next week will go better. But then, I suppose it isn't every week we put in an offer on a house! 

Here are my piles of laundry. Speaking of which, I should go change the load now! 

And here is an update on my cross-stitch project. It is coming along and I hope to have more time to work on it this weekend! Do you see the little girl's dress, legs, shoes and socks? 

Here's to a weekly schedule! I hope someday I may be able to find one that will work for me consistently. However, I kind of doubt I'll ever be able to stay on much of a schedule. :)

~ElizabethRose

No comments:

Post a Comment