Monday, July 6, 2009

A Perfect 4th of July in Bellingham

I'm back! I apologize that it has been so long since I posted anything. The past few weeks seem to have flown by as Woodley and I have worked on packing up some of our favorite things, cleaning up our rental house, and moving to Bellingham for the summer. 

After 15 hours of driving, we arrived at our cute little house last Thursday night, just in time to celebrate 4th of July! 

The last time we visited our house (actually, only a week before we came up for the rest of the summer) I did a lot of gardening and even managed to plant a few flowers in honor of the season. Normally I'm not a huge fan of red, white and blue, but for some reason these geraniums just spoke to me. They looked perfect against the blue of our house (which for some reason looks a bit gray in the picture) and, when combined with a few other annuals, made for a delightful little garden. 

I was very happy to see that they were all still blooming when we returned to our house last Thursday!

The morning of July 4th we got up early and headed down to the small logging community of Sedro Woolley (about 25 minutes south of Bellingham). There, we watched the oldest 4th of July parade in Washington state. I had never seen a logging truck filled with huge pieces of timber before, but their parade featured several. Woodley and I also had a great time checking out the chainsaw carving competition! (I'll post pictures from the parade later, when I get them from my mom.) We also had a delightful time visiting with my Aunt Marilyn, Uncle David, and First Cousin (Once Removed) Emily who came down from their home in Alaska for the holiday. 

In the afternoon, Woodley and I headed back up to our lake house and arrived just in time to watch our second parade of the day, a boat parade on Lake Whatcom. Everyone had decorated their boats and it was so festive!

There were some beautiful old boats:

We spent the rest of the afternoon playing bocce ball (we discovered our lawn is quite pitched which requires a special sort of bocce strategy)...

and laying on the lawn gazing out at the lake and up at our beautiful birch trees. 

In the evening we traveled across town to the DePaul's house for a BBQ dinner, more bocce, the sunset over the ocean, and the firework show. They are dear family friends who just finished remodeling their new home and it is a fabulous place for a party with a spectacular view! We were so thrilled to be able to join them!

The sunset over the islands was heavenly!


The firework show was also fabulous!

After the main firework show, we returned home and lit off our very own (much smaller) show. Woodley had never experienced setting off fireworks at home, since it's illegal in the area of California he grew up in. Since we have a much lower danger of forest fires here in the Northwest, it is still legal, and lots of fun! We set our collection of fireworks off down by the shore of the lake and, although Woodley was a bit nervous, it all went well and was great fun!

I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July as well!

~ElizabethRose

No comments:

Post a Comment