Friday, May 29, 2009

Piecing Sammy's Quilt

Back in January, Woodley and I hosted a baby shower for our dear friends Patty and Edo who were expecting their first child. I planned to sew a quilt for the baby and had pieces of quilting fabric and fabric pens ready at the baby shower for an activity. I asked all of the guests to write a special message to the baby on the pieces of fabric and later at the shower we all read them to Patty and Edo. 

Little Sammy was born in early February and I am sorry to say that I have yet to finish his quilt. I've been working on it here and there and I have a general plan but I really need to buckle down and get it pieced. 

For awhile I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find a convenient way to sew up the hexagons I had asked the guests to write on. Woodley came to the rescue though and suggested I add triangles to three sides to create larger triangles which could easily be sewn together. I found some pale blue fabric covered with robots and rocket ships that matched the shades of the hexagons. 

Here's one of the finished hexagon-triangles (note the special message for the baby!): 

I had enough triangles to make 5 large hexagons and I am now trying to decide which fabric I should use for the background behind the hexagons. I can't quite decide. The first option is Amy Butler's Martini Yellow Fabric: 


The second option (which I may be leaning towards) is Linework Robots by David Walker for Free Spirit:


My goal is to finish up the quilt by the beginning of August (which shouldn't be hard if I actually start spending some time working on it). Let me know if you have any ideas about which fabric I should pick!

Thanks!

~ElizabethRose


No comments:

Post a Comment