Friday, May 29, 2009

Roasted Beets

This past Wednesday we got 3 lovely golden beets in our CSA box. That evening we were to go over to our friends Patty and Edo's house for dinner and I had volunteered to bring a vegetable side dish. The last time we got beets in our box they sat in the refrigerator for about a month until I finally juiced them and drank them. :) This time I decided to be more proactive. 

In our copy of The Joy of Cooking, 2006 edition, I found an easy recipe for Baked or Roasted Beets which turned out so wonderfully that I just had to share it! The they tasted fabulous and it was so easy to toss this recipe together.

Baked or Roasted Beets
from The Joy of Cooking, 2006 edition, page 259
4 servings 

1 pound beets, stems trimmed to 1 inch
Salt and black pepper or paprika
2 tablespoons melted butter, olive oil, or walnut oil {I used olive oil}
1 tablespoon minced parsley, chives, or dill {I used dill from the garden}
Fresh lemon or lime juice to taste 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the beets and 1/2 cup water in an 8-inch square baking pan (or another small pan). Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and bake until the beets are easily pierced with a thin skewer or knife tip, about 45 minutes for small beets, 1 hour for medium, and 1 1/4 hours for large beets. 

Slip off the skins, and leave the beets whole or slice them into rounds or wedges. Season with salt and pepper. Toss with the butter or oil, herb(s), and juice to taste. 

I simply love the color! They were a big hit at dinner. :)

~ElizabethRose

No comments:

Post a Comment