Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lilacs

The lilacs have come out again! On the way up our long driveway there is a beautiful patch of meadow filled with around 10 very old and tall lilac trees. I simply adore lilacs and it is heavenly to walk down the driveway these days! Every time I see their purple blooms it reminds me of the first time Woodley and I drove up our driveway, about a year ago. 

We were just a few months away from our wedding and we had been searching for several months for the perfect house to rent as our first home together. We hoped to find something that felt sort of rural but that was still close enough to the Bay Area for Woodley to commute to work easily. Each day we would pour over Craigslist looking for anything remotely close to what we hoped to find. We looked at a few houses but for one reason or another they weren't quite right. 

Then one day we saw it! An ad for an old farmhouse in Los Gatos with a bit of land and near a public park. I knew the moment I read it that it was the house for us. We first saw the ad about 45 minutes after it was posted and emailed the landlords immediately to arrange to see it. The following afternoon found us driving down to Los Gatos and up the steep windy road that leads to what is now our driveway. As we drove up the driveway for the first time, I looked out the window and immediately fell in love with the patch of blooming lilacs. The house was pretty torn up since it was undergoing a fairly extensive remodel but we knew we wanted it. Later that week everything was finalized and we were thrilled to have found the perfect spot! 

It's hard to believe it's almost a year later. Of course, we didn't actually start living in the house until we got back from our honeymoon in July, but it still feels like we have been here a whole year now. While I was working out in the garden this afternoon I couldn't stop thinking about how grateful I am to be able to live in such a beautiful part of the world! When I was little, I loved spending time outside in our yard and the woods around our house. I think I had forgotten how nice it is just to be outdoors in nature without having to go anywhere or do anything. Just being outside for a long stretch of time listening to the birds singing and feeling the wind blowing gives me such pleasure! With Woodley's help I was even able to finish the other two tops for the planter boxes. Now I just need to figure out where to plant what! 

When I finished in the garden, I picked some lilacs for our dining room table. They are so lovely! I'll have to take a picture of them tomorrow morning after I charge our camera battery. 

~ElizabethRose

No comments:

Post a Comment