Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Our Vines Have Tender Grapes



Last night we watched "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes" at The Stanford Theater. It was one of the sweetest movies I have ever seen! It was made in 1945 and it is about life in an immigrant Scandinavian community in a small town in Wisconsin. A reviewer on Amazon summed it up better than I would be able to:

"Ultimately, VINES is about how parents teach their children and shape their lives--and about how children, for good or ill, learn lessons in life from their parents. Simply filmed, beautifully performed, and memorable from start to finish, it is a film that deserves wider recognition than it normally receives. An excellent family film that both parents and children will enjoy." -Gary F. Taylor

I was feeling a bit sick with a headache last night but Woodley insisted we go to the movie even though it was late and I'm so glad he did! It is one of my new favorites. It was especially appealing to me because it reminded me so much of my family who were indeed Scandinavian immigrants who lived in a small town like that in Wisconsin.

Sadly I can't find it on DVD and Netflix doesn't carry it. I think it is available on VHS though. If you can find a copy, I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment